is a town and a commune of 10.625 inhabitants
of the province of Spezia. With capital of province and Portovenere is one of the three communes that they show as oneself on the Gulf of the Poets
The commune of Lerici is situated in the Coast of Levant on the eastern side of the Gulf of La Spezia
. Lerici rises to the center of one small natural inlet,dominated from a promontory on which it detaches the imposing castle, today museum center. Nearly of forehead to the village capital, beyond Blue Venus fraction, we can find the village of Saint Terenzo.
The commune is part of the regional natural Park of Montemarcello - Magra
In 2007, Blue Flag has been conferred finally to the city, for the quality of the beaches.
The economy of Lerici is based above all on the tourism, favorite is the natural beauty of the territory, the accessible seaside for everyone and the beauty of the interest places. The territory is equipped with an important receptive service, constituted from number lodges and a myriad of of bed and breakfast, they guarantee the night's passing of many tourists and the presence of a seaport for tourists and the mooring of pleasure crafts guarantees. Beyond the tourism they developed the olivoculture and the winegrowing.
The first traces of Lerici in the history go back to the Etruscan age, when, in all probability, the first village was installed. In the time the particular position made of Lerici a natural seaport,first for the Liguria ones and than for the Romans.
In the Middle Ages the bay served as landing place and port of call, first for the family of Obertenghi
and than for the Malaspina. But it is with the republic duffle-coat of Geneva that Lerici began to assume a more important role. After it had acquired Portovenere and they made a base in order to control the gulf. Geneva came in possession Lerici negotiating with the gentleman of Vezzano and d'Arcola which were the governors of the locality.
In 1152, at Portovenere
, it was signed a document with which Giulenzio, Butafara and Girardo for Arcola and Giudo, Bellengerio, Alberto, Girardo and Enrico for Vezzano yielded Lerici for 29 and 10 liras to Lucca. The takeover of the Republic of Geneva in this part of the gulf and its expansionistic sights towards east collided against the Malaspina family
, then these were defeated in 1174 to Monleone and were forced to underwrite a pact with which they were obligated to leave Lerici. In the successive years the village Lericino started to increase its importance. Its geographic arrangement and the absence of fortifications had done a place deputy to negotiations to put an end to the war between Geneva and Pisa. It was actual here, in 1217, that it was signed a peace contract.
The naval crash of the island of Lily
, in 1241, ended with the victory of Pisa
on the Genevan fleet, carved on the destiny of Lerici. The Seafaring Republic Tuscany
, in fact, occupied the bay and the landing, perhaps without meeting any resistance. Pisan people tried to win the garrison of Portovenere but it had been rejected and for this they decided to fortify Lerici. They began to protect the village with a fortification wall. The Pisan possession didn't lasted to long; in 1254 the defeat of Pisa to work of the Genevan, imposes the return of the castle and of the port of Lerici. Geneva put hand on the development of the defended Lerici strengthened the castle and after some years rebuilded the village fortified.
Also Lerici was theatre of the crashes than fight back in the first decades of the '300 the Ghibellini and the Guelfi
, which for quite two times destroyed the country without to succeed to storm the castle. Subsequently, at the end of 1300 arrives the french domination, at the end of which, in 1411, the fortification and the village had been sold to the Florentine. The successive year Geneva succeeded again to take possession of Lerici, keeping it for fifteen years, until it was delivered to Alfonso V of Aragona
. The events of the second half of the '400 saw to happen itself different dominions until the definitive passage to Geneva in 1479. In the successive decades the castle, broadened and consolidated with a weighing and thick outside curtain, to make it invulnerable again to the foreign army's become a point of force of the Republic.